Hey everyone! It's another 12 Months of Slouchy Hats! Get ready for Nicole from Tunisian Crochet Chick!
“This beanie is made using one skein of a worsted weight self striping yarn. The graduated stripes do all the colourwork for you, leaving you to focus your attention on a simple repeating pattern. A large hook makes the work go by quickly, making this a great last minute project.” ~ Nicole
Rainbow Slouchy Beanie
- Hat is made flat and whipstitched closed. Seam is worn at centre back.
- Work four full repeats of stripe pattern before beginning the decreases. For less slouch, work three full repeats and then begin decreases.
- You may work a few rounds of single crochet to tighten up the bottom if you find it is a bit loose.
- Tunisian simple stitch
- Tunisian full stitch: this is simply drawing up a loop in the hole or space indicated.
- Tunisian eyelet lace (this link takes you to a guest post at Oombawka Design Crochet. Scroll down to the instructions for square two of the Pinwheel Dishcloth. It is worked in the eyelet lace pattern used in this hat)
- Tunisian double crochet: Yarn over hook, insert hook behind vertical bar as when making Tss, yarn over hook and draw up a loop. Yarn over and draw through two loops. Leave remaining loop on the hook
- Tunisian double crochet two together: Yarn over hook, insert hook behind vertical bar as when making Tss, yarn over hook and draw up a loop. Yarn over hook, insert hook behind vertical bar of next stitch, yarn over hook and draw up a loop, Yarn over hook, draw through four loops. Decrease made.
Gauge = 3.75 sts/1 inch
1 skein Loops & Threads, Chameleon in Rainbow
8.0mm Tunisian hook
6.0mm regular hook (optional)
Stitch markers (optional)
Pattern:(One size, fits most adult heads)
Work foundation rows:
Flip chain and work into bottom bumps. Starting in the second chain from the hook, pick up a loop in each chain, for a total of 70 loops on the hook. Work standard return pass: yo, pull through one loop on hook, yo, pull though two loops across.
Next row: work one row of Tunisian simple stitch. (Tss)
Begin stripe pattern:
Row 1: Work Tunisian double crochet (Tdc)
Row 2: Work Tunisian eyelets: *Tss2tog, yo* to last stitch, Tss in last stitch
Row 3: (Next row of Tunisian eyelet lace) Tss in Tss2tog of row below, Tunisian full stitch (Tfs) in eyelet holes, Tss in last stitch
Work four repeats. Next row is a Tdc row. Begin decreases on this row:
Working in Tdc, work until there are 5 loops on hook. Work Tunisian double crochet two together (Tdc2tog) over next two stitches. Continue like this across, working five Tdc and then a decrease..
Next row: Work eyelet pattern as established
Next row: Work Tss and Tfs as established
Next row: Work *4 Tdc, Tdc2tog* across
Next three rows: Work Tss2tog across
Work a slip stitch bind off, cut yarn leaving a very long tail.
Using darning needle, weave tail through bound off stitches, Pull tightly to close. With right sides facing, whipstitch row ends together. You may find it handy to baste the eyelet rows closed with stitch markers.
Optional: trim the opening of the beanie with one or two rounds of single crochet using the 6.0mm hook, to tighten the edge and reduce the bit of curl. I did not do this because I like how it fits as is.
Weave in ends and enjoy!!